Trump declares social media platforms are ‘absolutely discriminating’ versus conservatives
President Trump weighed in on social media platforms’ banning specific material, claiming in a series of tweets that the sites are “absolutely discriminating” against conservative voices helpful of his administration.
Interested in Donald Trump?Add Donald
Trump as an interest to keep up to date on the most recent Donald Trump news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
“Social network is absolutely victimizing Republican/Conservative voices. Speaking loudly and plainly for the Trump Administration, we will not let that happen,” Trump tweeted Saturday morning from his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey.
Social network is totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices. Speaking loudly and plainly for the Trump Administration, we won’t let that occur. They are closing down the opinions of lots of people on the RIGHT, while at the very same time not doing anything to others…–
August 18, 2018 The president’s tweets come as major social media platforms have actually eliminated specific material by right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.
Facebook said earlier this month that it removed material from some of Jones’ pages for “glorifying violence, which violates our graphic violence policy, and utilizing dehumanizing language to explain individuals who are transgender, Muslims and immigrants, which violates our hate speech policies.”
Spotify, Apple and YouTube have actually also removed at least some material from Jones and InfoWars, and Twitter recently suspended his account momentarily.
Trump said on Twitter Saturday that “censorship is really hazardous.” He likewise made his oft-repeated reference to news organizations– in this case, CNN and MSNBC– as “fake news,” and suggested that there ought to be no controls on social media. “Let everyone participate, great & & bad, and we will all just have to figure it out!”
… Censorship is a very dangerous thing & & absolutely impossible to authorities. If you are extracting Fake News, there is nothing so Phony as CNN & & MSNBC, & yet I do not ask that their sick habits be gotten rid of. I get used to it and watch with a grain of salt, or do not watch at all.
August 18, 2018 … Too numerous voices are being damaged, some good & & some bad, and that can not be permitted to take place. Who is making the options, since I can already inform you that too many errors are being made. Let everyone get involved, good & & bad, and we will all simply need to figure it out!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 18, 2018 Twitter acted Tuesday, suspending Jones’ personal account for seven days for breaching the platform’s guidelines.
Twitter would not talk about what the upseting post stated. In a video posted Wednesday to the Twitter account for Infowars, Jones said the company suspended him and may shut him down totally due to the fact that he breached its rules by publishing a “video I shot last night stating [ President Donald] Trump needs to do something about the censorship of the internet.”
The video is no longer available on Twitter or Periscope, where Jones published it. However it is still up elsewhere online. In it, Jones states people “require to have their fight rifles and everything all set at their bedsides and you got to be prepared since the media is so disciplined in their deceptiveness.”
Jones is currently the offender in a suit by families of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims over his previous claims that the 2012 mass shooting in Connecticut, which killed 26 kids and grownups, was staged. Jones now states he believes the Sandy Hook shooting did take place, and has argued that the claim needs to be dismissed due to the fact that he was serving as a reporter.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
This content was originally published here.